mint chocolate chip cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
2 drops Americolor food gel coloring “mint” (optional)
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1. In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
2. Add egg, extract and food coloring. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture in 2-3 additions. Mixing lightly between each.
5. Mix all ingredients well, until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and is soft but not sticky
6. Roll dough into ball and place on lightly floured surface.
7. Roll out dough and cut into desired shapes.
8. Place cookies on cookie sheet and freeze for about 10 minutes while oven preheats to 350 degrees.
9. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes depending on size.
10. Cool cookies completely before decorating.
This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies.
You can eat these yummy treats fresh out of the oven for a warm, minty, melty chocolate experience if you want. Or you can decorate them any way you like.
I did a few with simple white on white “lace”.
And than I got a great idea and decided to dip some of them in chocolate. I just melted some dark chocolate I had on hand, added a few drops of oil to give it a glossy, smooth shine and dipped my cookies right in!
If you go this route, let them sit on a bit of waxed paper for a few minutes until the chocolate sets and then you can enjoy! They taste a bit like thin mints.